Charles Sington could only have lived for a short time in Camborne prior to his early death here, though his association with the local mines would have been strong.  We would like to suggest placing a potted plant of rosemary here, a plant traditionally connected with rememberance, and the flowers of which will enhance insect life in this urban graveyard. Alternatively, we can leave a painted 'Cornwall' stone...and will make sure it features an engine-house!

Charles E Sington


14th September 1902 - Camborne Cemetery

Charles was the only son of Mr Alfred Sington, a Manchester-born barrister. Charles was born in Manchester, and the family, including his younger sister Gladys, moved to London in 1887, when Charles was a young boy of 7. The family lived in Brondesbury Road, Willesdon, and Charles attended Dulwich college, before studying at the Royal School of Mines, south Kensington, London - the institution which famously plays rugby  with the Camborne School of Mines in the long tradition of the Bottle Match! 

On the 1901 census, he is still living with his family in Willesdon and studying at RSM, so it must have been later that year, or early 1902, when he moved to Cornwall, presumably to  take up a position in the mining industry. He was living in Wellington Road, Camborne, when he tragically  died at the age of 22.  He had married in Camberwell in 1900, and both his parents, wife and sister attended the funeral here. 

The Redruth and Cornubian Times reports in September 1902  that the coffin was unpolished oak with walnut mouldings, reflecting the high-status of his parents.  Charles' parents later endowed a prize to St Paul's School in London - where Charles was noted to have been a Sunday School teacher - to give an annual prize to 'the best boy in the school'. 

His father passed away in London in October 1907, aged only 56; his mother, Ada, lived in Hampstead until her death in 1931, aged 78.  Charles' sister Gladys never married - perhaps she cared for her parents in their later years, and also lived in Hampstead until her death in 1964 at the age of 77.